Good Morning, Parents,
As we wrap up the Fall Season, it is time to start looking forward to the Winter, Spring and Summer seasons ahead of us. Included below is detailed information about the remainder of this year and plans for 2018. Please read everything below – I know it is lengthy, but this contains all the information necessary to help you plan through to August 2018!
REMAINING FALL REGATTAS
Frostbite Regatta. This is a Varsity-only regatta on Saturday, November 11, 2017, at Mercer Lake. Additional information including arrival time, rosters, and line-ups will be posted by coaches as we approach the date. Spectators are welcome to watch from the Marina side of the lake.
The tentative schedule for the Frostbite Regatta is as follows:
9:49 – 10:24 AM High School Women’s Four
10:31 – 11:06 AM High School Men’s Four
1:26 -1:54 PM High School Women’s Eight
2:01 – 2:43 PM High School Men’s Eight
Braxton Regatta. This is a Novice and Varsity regatta on Sunday, November 12, 2017 at Mercer Lake. Additional information including arrival time, rosters and line-ups will be posted by coaches as we approach the date. Spectators are welcome to watch from the Marina side of the lake.
The tentative schedule for the Braxton Regatta is as follows:
8:00 AM High School Women’s Varsity Four Time Trial
8:15 AM High School Men’s Varsity Eight Time Trial
8:30 AM High School Men’s Varsity Four Time Trial
8:45 AM High School Women’s Varsity 8 Time Trial
9:00 AM High School Men’s Novice 8 Time Trial
11:09 AM High School Women’s Varsity Four Final
11:15-11:45 AM High School Men’s JV Eight
12:21-12:45 PM High School Men’s Novice Eight
12:51 PM High School Men’s Varsity Eight Final
2:51-3:09 PM High School Women’s JV Eight
3:15-3:33 PM High School Women’s Novice Eight
3:39 PM High School Women’s Varsity Eight Final
FALL BOATHOUSE CLEAN-UP DAY
Fall Boathouse Clean-up Day is November 17, 2017 during regular practice times. Athletes should bring a change of clothes that can get dirty as we will be moving launches out of the water, cleaning the erg room, boat bays and areas around the boathouse and parking lot.
WINTER 2017-2018 SEASON
Winter training for Varsity and Novice is by invitation only. Athletes will be notified November 13th if they have been selected for Winter training.
Varsity Winter Program
The Varsity Winter Training Season will run from November 27, 2017 to March 3rd, 2018.
Winter varsity training includes both boathouse practice and strength training. Over the past four years, the juniors have worked with physical therapist and collegiate rower Kaitlin Jackson (see bio below) to supplement the aerobic training we do throughout the winter with endurance strength training. This year we will again be working with Kaitlin, this time in space provided by CrossFit Hamilton. While our sessions will be held in a CrossFit gym, this program is not CrossFit but instead is one that has been specifically designed and tailored by Kaitlin for rowers. Every exercise the group does will simulate/reinforce the movement patterns we use to move the boat and each session will include dynamic warm-ups and post-workout stretching. While the coaches believe this training really helps with the development of the rower, the program is completely optional and operates independently of the Mercer Rowing. The CrossFit gym is located at 2101 E State St, Hamilton, NJ 08610.
Winter Training Schedule
Girls Varsity: This year the girls team will have the later training slot, from 5:30-7:45 pm Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays (3:45-5:45 pm), and Fridays. CrossFit begins on November 15 and will be held on Wednesdays from 6:30–8:00 pm, and on Saturdays from 7:30–9:00 am.
Boys Varsity: This year the boys team will have the earlier training slot, from 3:45 – 5:45 pm Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. CrossFit begins on November 16 and will be held on Thursdays from 6:30-8:00 pm, and on Saturdays from 7:30-9:00 am.
Holiday Breaks: This year all varsity athletes will have both a Thanksgiving and Winter Break. Thanksgiving break will be from November 19 to 26 (practice resumes on the 27th). Winter break will be from December 21 to January 1, 2018 (practice resumes on Jan 2nd). Both Coach Justin and Coach Matt will be providing workouts for the athletes to complete on their own time away from the boathouse during the holiday breaks.
There will be NO Winter Training Trip this year.
Strength Training Schedule: See attached Calendar
Kaitlin Jackson Biography
- Graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 2008 (Bachelor of Science); rowed there from 2004-2008
- Graduated from University of Pittsburgh in 2011, Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
- Assistant coach for the University of Pittsburgh Rowing team, 2008-2011
- PT for RWJUH Somerset Sports Physical Therapy (working primarily with athletic population); currently studying to become a board certified sports specialist (SCS), to be completed in March
- CrossFit Endurance trainer (strength and conditioning for endurance athletes)
- Certified running coach (utilizing pose running technique)
- Utilizes sport-specific training, strength work and mobility/recovery techniques in own training as well as with athletes
- Competes in distance triathlon events and has completed two Ironman races
Novice Winter Program
The Novice Winter Training Season will run from November 29, 2017 to March 3, 2018.
The novice team will practice at the Boathouse on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5:45-7:45 pm and Saturdays from 10:00 am–12 noon. Novice will not participate in the CrossFit program, but instead will have strength training incorporated into their workouts at the boathouse.
Holiday Breaks: This year all novice athletes will have both a Thanksgiving and Winter Break. Thanksgiving break will be from November 19 to 28 (practice resumes on the 29th). Winter break will be from December 20 to January 2, 2018 (practice resumes on Jan 3rd). Both Coach Zach and Coach Amanda will be providing workouts for the athletes to complete on their own time away from the boathouse during the holiday breaks.
Cost for Varsity and Novice Winter Program 2017-2018
- Varsity Winter Training – $425
- Strength Training – $375 (Paid directly to CrossFit). Crossfit runs for 18 weeks this year vs. 14 weeks last year
- Novice Winter Training – $350
Winter Erg Racing
- February 4- Mainline Slide – Ardmore, PA
- TBA- Center City Slam- Philadelphia, PA
- February 17-18 – World Indoor Rowing Championship – Alexandria, VA
- February 25- Crash B’s – Boston, MA
- March 11- Mercer Indoor Row for the Cure – Peddie School (ALL ATHLETES)
To participate at Crash B’s and the World Indoor Rowing Championship, an athlete must compete at a previous indoor race during the season. Travel and event entry arrangements associated with the winter erg races are the responsibility of athletes interested in attending. The parent coordinators or coaches will not organize it. If there are a significant number of athletes attending we will send coaching staff to assist.
SPRING 2018 SEASON
The Spring Season for all programs (varsity, novice, development, 8th grade) will run from March 12, 2018** to May 18, 2018.
The Varsity programs will have a mandatory tryout session from March 5 to March 9, 2018.
Spring training will continue for athletes qualifying for Youth Nationals from May 21 to June 10, 2018
**The spring season start date is subject to change due to ice on the lake and other weather conditions.
Cost for Spring 2018
- Varsity and Novice – $725
- Development – $400
- 8th Grade – $475
Tentative Spring 2018 Race Schedule
- CRI Race – (Top 3 Varsity Boys and Varsity Girls Boats Only) – Boston, MA – April 7
- Steve Neczypor Regatta – (Varsity and Novice not traveling to Boston) – Pennsauken, NJ – April 7
- Cincinnati High School Invitational – (Top 3 Varsity Boys and Girls Boats Only) – Cincinnati, OH – April 14-15
- Mercer Lake Sprints – (Varsity and Novice) – Mercer Lake, April 21-22
- Saratoga Invitational – (Top 3 Varsity Boys and Girls Boats Only and Top Novice Boys and Girls Boat) – Saratoga, NY – April 28-29
- Mid-Atlantic Regionals – (Varsity and Novice) – Mercer Lake – May 12-13
- Youth Nationals – (Qualifying Crews) – Sacramento, CA – June 7-11
Youth Nationals Training- May 19-June 10th
Cost: $325 – This cost covers the training period after the Spring Season ends and does not include the cost associated with the trip fee for Youth Nationals
SUMMER 2018 SEASON
For athletes not traveling to Youth Nationals, the summer season will run from May 21 through July 21, 2018.
For athletes going to Youth Nationals, the summer season will run from June 18 through July 21, 2018.
The Small Boats Sculling Program will run from July 30 through August 24, 2018.
Summer 2018 Race Schedule
- Schuylkill Navy – Philadelphia – June 16
- Independence Day Regatta – Philadelphia, PA – June 29 – July 1
- Club Nationals – Cooper River, Camden, NJ – July 11 – 15
- Philly Youth Regatta – Philadelphia, PA – July 21
Cost for Summer 2018
- Athletes not attending Youth Nationals – $725
- Athletes attending Youth Nationals – $400
- Small Boats Sculling Program – $350
FALL 2018 SEASON
The Fall Varsity Season will run from September 10, 2018 to November 16, 2018.
The Varsity programs will have a mandatory tryout session from August 27 to September 7, 2018.
The Fall 2018 Novice Season will run from September 5 to November 16, 2018.
The Fall 2018 Development and 8th Grade Programs will run from September 5, 2018, to November 16, 2018.
Tentative Fall 2018 Race Schedule
CRI Fall Classic- Boston, MA
Head of the Housatonic – Shelton, CT
Navy Day – Philadelphia, PA
Head of the Charles- Boston, MA
Head of the Fish- Saratoga, NY
** Please note that no athletes participating in fall 2018 Mercer Junior Rowing programs will be permitted to use PNRA/Mercer indoor equipment or workout space from July 22 to August 27, 2018. Mercer Junior athletes who are rowing in the small boat sculling program will be allowed to use the sculling equipment associated with that program.